Hearts of Gold and Fiery Souls

24059544_795331843985049_1150767503647826742_o.jpg

Photo: Kimberly Mao

Written by Tiffany Nguyen

The growing fire,

her passionate soul.

It feeds the hunger,

to reach her goal.

The thorns of her rose help her strengthen, the power of her sisters help her rise.

---

“Sigma Psi Zeta Sorority, Inc. (SYZ) is a progressive multicultural Greek organization that provides a means to success and support for women, particularly women of color. The sorority builds on the unity of strong and independent leaders to affect change in our organization, our members, our universities, and local communities.

Our national philanthropy is to combat the violence against women.”

---

Joining Sigma Psi Zeta (SYZ) in Fall 2016 was something I never imagined to do in my first year of college. It was strange when the depictions of “sorority life” in movies were being stripped away as I learned more and more about SYZ. What really stuck out to me was their philanthropy to combat the violence against women. It’s empowering to learn that there is a whole organization of women that joined for this reason and to continue to build themselves and empower others. Being a multicultural Greek organization, SYZ has also given me the chance to explore my own culture, as well as learn about different ones. We all come from different backgrounds and it’s amazing to see how we can all come together as sisters. I did not expect that, coming into college, I would meet and connect with so many influential women that will now stay with me for life as we all share our red and gold colors.

I would also like to share that on Friday, December 1st, we welcomed 15 new sisters into our sorority.

This is to our biggest line in the Alpha Kappa Chapter. I want to wish you a warm welcome into this new SYZterhood. You have worked hard to get to this point and I can’t wait to see all of your accomplishments!

24291571_1725616360793773_614549036164144045_o.jpg